This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Do I Qualify for the GI Bill from My Reserve Service?

Q: Good Morning SGM. My period of active duty was from 1989 to 1999,and then my Reserves was from 1999 to 2005. I used a 1/2 semester of my GI Bill from active duty before expiration and was denied an extension. Do I qualify for the GI Bill under my 6yrs of reserve service?

A: Not unless you were deployed for at least 91 days after September 10, 2001. With the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), it is good for only as long as you are in the Reserve or National Guard. Once you are out, your MGIB-SR benefits end.

However, if you were deployed after the September date, on an active duty Title 10 order for a contingency operation such as Iraq or Afghanistan, then you qualify for a percentage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. A typical one-year deployment would put you at the 60% tier. As far as the number of months, you would get 36 minus the number of months you used for your › semester, which would have been around 2 › to 3 months depending on the length of your semester.

To start using your GI bill, go to the VONAPP website and submit VA form 22-1990. You will get a Certificate of Eligibility back from the VA. Take that certificate with you when you enroll in school.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”