This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Do I Qualify for Any Benefits from My Dad?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Hello, My father is an active duty Marine. I am his daughter currently enrolled to get my associate’s degree. My question is whether I can qualify for the GI Bill or any kind of benefits under the GI Bill? If so, how can I sign up to receive the benefits?

A: While you will not qualify for the GI Bill yourself, your father most likely qualifies for the new Post 9/11 GI Bill and he may even be eligible to transfer benefits to you.

To access the transfer option, your father would have to serve at least six years on active duty, with at least three years after September 10, 2001. Then he has to re-enlist for at least four years. If he meets these two requirements, then he can go to the TEB website and transfer months of entitlement to you.

Once the transfer is approved, which can take up to 8 weeks, you would go to the VONAPP Website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return you would get back a Certificate of Eligibility which you will need when enrolling in school to use your GI Bill transferred benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.