This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Do I Have to Go to School to Receive the GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Do you have to go to school in order to receive the GI Bill? If so, how long until after I get out do I have to use it? I will be getting medically/honorably discharged at the end of 2010. If I use the GI Bill to pay for school, but my entire schooling is cheaper than the amount of my Bill, do I get any of the remaining balance? Thank you for your help.

A: It really depends on what you mean when you say “receive” the G.I. Bill. Your eligibility for the G.I. Bill comes from you serving in the military. To receive any education benefits in the form of pay, yes you have to go to school.

Being you are getting discharged at the end of this year, I’m assuming you are eligible for the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. You have 15 years from your discharge date to use your G.I. Bill benefits.

Under that Bill, the VA pays your tuition and fees directly to your school, up to the in-state public school maximum for your state, and you would get a monthly housing allowance and up to $1,000 per year book stipend. Keep in mind, if you are still on active duty, taking online-only classes or going to school less than half-time, you won’t get the housing allowance.

To to answer your last question, I have to give explain how the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill works. Each state has their own maximum tuition and fees amount. The housing allowance is calculated based on the E-5-with-dependents rate for the zip code of your school, so there isn’t a fixed amount everyone gets like there was under the old Montgomery G.I. Bill. So no, you don’t get any remaining amount, because there isn’t any remaining amount. The VA might pay $12,000 per term for your course and pay $20,000 per term for someone else taking the same course as you, just at a college in a different location. It is all based on area cost-of-living expenses.

1 response on “Do I Have to Go to School to Receive the GI Bill?

Each GI bill (there are currently 4 that I can think of) has it’s own expiration schedule and payment rate.

The Chapter 30 is good for 10 years following separation from active duty (reserve mobilization resets this)

The Chapter 1606 expires 10 years from the eligibility date, or on separation.

All except the Chapter 33 (post 9/11) pay the student directly. The 33 pays tuition to the school, and allowances to you. The 30, 1606, and 1607 pay you to go to school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.