This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Do I Have a Recourse to Get My GI Bill Benefits?

Q: I contributed to my GI Bill in 1987-88, and then received a Gen/Hon Discharge in 1990. I was informed that even though I contributed to the fund, I could not receive the benefits because I did not receive a Honorable Discharge. I then reenlisted in the Reserve/Nat Guard in 2003-2009. I am told I have no educational benefits for that enlistment as well? Is there any recourse?

A: What you were informed about regarding your GI Bill and your discharge is true. To qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill, you had to have one enlistment ending in an honorable discharge during that time you were in. As far as your Reserve GI Bill, those benefits ended when you were discharged. However, even if you would have stayed in the Reserves for 10 years, they would have expired at the 10-year mark anyway.

As far as a recourse, you could have one . . . did you deploy while you were in the Reserves or National Guard for six years? If so, that could be your saving grace; if not, you are out of options unless you get your discharge upgraded to Honorable.

As long as you deployed for at least 90 days on a Title 10 order in support of a contingency operation, and that ended in an honorable discharge, you could get 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits at the 40% level. If you deployed for a normal one-year tour, the percentage goes up to 60%. While that is not a lot, it is more than you would otherwise get in your situation with your other two GI Bills.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA pays your tuition up to your percentage, you get a monthly housing allowance and a book stipend once per semester, both paid at your Post 9/11 GI Bill percentage.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”