This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Could I Also Qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill Too?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I was active duty in the Army from July 27, 2004, to May 10, 2005. I was in unit and out of training by February 2, 2005. I received an Honorable Discharge, Medical (Condition Existing Prior to Service/Service-Connected Condition/Condition Interfering with Duty). I have a documented service related disability of 10% and receive monthly disability payments. I was awarded approximately 9 months of Montgomery GI-Bill (Chapter 30) benefits, which I used in their entirety before September 2006. I am currently thinking of attempting graduate school. Could I potentially receive benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)?

A: To qualify for minimum (40%) Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, you need at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001; you need at least three years for the full benefit. You more than meet the minimum, so yes, you should be able to get 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits payable at the 50% level.

This means the VA would pay 50% of your tuition and eligible fees directly to your school. You, in turn, would get paid 50% of a housing allowance based on the zip code of your school paid at the pay grade of an E-5 with dependents. You would also get 50% of the $1,000 per year book stipend.

One way to find out for sure if you qualify is to send in VA Form 22-1990 and see if they approve it. If so, great! If not, at least you tried.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.