This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can Our Son Use His Father’s GI Bill From the 1960s?

Q: My late ex-husband was a Vietnam vet, he served 4 years & 4 months in the Navy in the 60s…Is our 17 year old son eligible to use his father’s G I Bill? The VA did tell me to contact them when Mark was ready for college back when I first contacted them after his father’s death.

A: Without more information, I can only speculate, however, it sounds like the VA may have reason to believe Mark is eligible for the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance Program. If your ex-husband was permanently and totally disabled, and it was rated as service-connected, then Mark should qualify.

If so, then he could get 45 months of entitlements to go to school. The monthly pay for a DEA recipient currently is $936 for a full-time student. Out of that money, he would have to pay his tuition, fees and other education-related expenses.

If Mark gets DEA benefits, he has from age 18 to 26 to use those benefits. Any unused benefits at age 26 are lost. If he does not qualify for DEA, there are many different kinds of scholarships, grants and loans available for school. A good place to start is by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see what he would qualify for as far as student financial assistance.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”