This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can My Father Transfer His Vietnam-Era GI Bill Benefits to Me?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am writing to ask if the GI Bill transfer could apply to servicemen who served prior to 9/11. My father served in Vietnam and has not used his GI Bill and would like to transfer it to either myself or my sister. We have no idea how to even go about this, since most of the information involves current servicemen. Thanks you for your time and any assistance you give.

A: The problem is there won’t be anything left of your father’s GI Bill to transfer even if it did have a transfer option (which it didn’t). GI Bills all have a delimiting date so after a set number of years, all unused benefits expire. In your father’s case, he might have switched his Vietnam-Era GI Bill to the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), but even that would have expired around the year 2000 and the MGIB didn’t have a transfer option either.

The only GI Bill that can be transferred to dependents is the Post 9/11 GI Bill and he would have had to serve after September 10, 2001 to establish eligibility for the new GI Bill along with still being on active duty on or after August 1, 2009 to make a transfer request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.