This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use Tuition Assistance and Not the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Q: If I am currently enrolled under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and attending school full time during the year and using benefits. Can I use only the Tuition Assistance (Not GI Bill as well) to pay for a summer course? Or If I want to take a course through another school while enrolled in another and using GI Bill benefits, can I use the TA through GoArmyEd to pay for the secondary schools course? Thanks, Joel.

A: O.K. Joel, you are talking two different things here so I will address each one separately. If you are authorized to use Tuition Assistance (TA), meaning you are on active duty or in the Selected Reserves, yes you can use just TA to pay for a summer course.

However, keep in mind that TA usually only pays up to $250 per credit so anything over that amount would have to be paid by you. Also, if you already reached your $4,500 per year limit, you would have to pay the whole amount for your summer course out of pocket.

As far as using TA to pay for a course at one school while using your Post 9/11 GI Bill to pay for courses at a different school, I see no reason why you could not do it, but remember you have to get all the credits to whichever school would be issuing your degree.

It is a good idea to see if your primary school accepts credits from the other school you want to attend. If not, then you might be better off not taking the courses unless you do not intend to pick up those credits.

If you were using the Montgomery GI Bill, then I would suggest using the Tuition Top-Up Program, as it is a great way to maximize your GI Bill benefits, but when using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, it isn’t such a good deal.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”