This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use the Hazelwood Act at the Same Time With Either GI Bill?


Q: I have 7 months left on my MGIB. I assume I’m also eligible for additional 12 months of the Post 9/11 GI Bill since I served with the Texas ANG (and some AD) after 9/11. I figure I’ll receive 70% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill since I served 18 months of active duty post 9/11. Does this mean I have to exhaust the 7 months of MGIB before I can use the 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill? Or do I have to choose one of the bills for the remaining 19 months of entitlements? To throw a wrench into the equation, I am also eligible for the Hazelwood Act. Can I use the Hazelwood Act at the same time with either of the GI Bills? Since I’m only eligible for 70% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, it’d be great to use the Hazelwood Act to help pay off the other 30% of tuition, books, etc. Lastly, is there a phone number I can call to find out how many months of education benefits I’m entitled to (according to the VA – not my own calculations)? I know about eBenefits but have yet to get a premier account set up. Thanks for all the great work you do, Aaron

A: Aaron, to get the additional 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, yes, you first have to exhaust your remaining 7 months of your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB). If you switch with these 7 months left, then that is all the entitlement you would get under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

With the Hazelwood Act, you can use your MGIB at the same time, but generally speaking not your Post 9/11 GI Bill.

By the way your question is worded, I think you may be confused as far as what you get under the Hazelwood Act. You get up to 150 hours of tuition waiver – you do not get any real money from using the Act, so under the Hazelwood Act, you would not get the money you wanted to pay for books and other education-related expenses. But, because your tuition would be wavered, you would not need your Post 9/11 GI Bill.

The best way to use your Hazelwood Act benefits (in my opinion) is to use the Act in association with your remaining MGIB. Once your MGIB benefits have been exhausted, then use just the Post 9/11 GI Bill by itself. Once finished with it, then go back to using just your remaining Hazelwood Act benefits. What you can’t do is use your Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Hazelwood Act for the same classes.

If you want to call the VA, their main Education number is 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBILL-1). Sometimes it is difficult to get through, so just keep trying. An alternate route would be to contact the VA Regional Office in charge of your state.


Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at http://www.va.gov.

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

Enter to Win $1,000 for College From Lending Tree. Deadline to Enter January 31, 2022.

X

Enter NOW! Niche's $2,000 Scholarship Giveaway, Deadline July 31, 2021

X