This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Use My Remaining Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits for a Second Degree?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I currently use the Post 9/11 GI Bill and I was wondering say if I do not use the total 36 months, because I complete my degree in 2 and 1/2 years, Can I then use the remaining months for a separate new degree in whole?

A: You can, but I would consider using your remaining Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits for an advanced degree in the field where you already have your bachelor’s degree. If the VA is willing to pay a good portion of a master’s degree or first professional degree, why not make the most of your GI Bill and use it that way.

Otherwise, you will end up with part of another four-year degree and once your GI Bill benefits run out, most likely not finish that second degree. If you have almost two years of GI Bill benefits left, you could complete a master’s degree. What an opportunity that is. Take advantage of it and don’t squander your remaining benefits on something that most likely you won’t finish and that won’t enhance your earning potential even if you did finish. Having a master’s degree will increase your earning potential dramatically.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.