This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Use My Post 9/11 GI Bill for an 8-Week Language Course?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Hi, I was wondering, can the Post 9/11 GI Bill be used for schooling overseas? I know that there is an approved list on the website, but my desired program is not on the list. It is only a language program that lasts 8 weeks, and not actually a degree program. Thank you.

A: Yes, the Post 9/11 GI Bill can be used at many foreign schools. As you noted there is a list on the Find A School website listing schools already VA approved.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is mainly geared toward students wanting to pursue a degree-producing program. It can be anything from an associate’s degree all the way up to a doctorate, but it generally will not pay for a non-degree standalone course, such as the one you are considering.

However, with that said, if your 8-week language course is part of your degree plan, and completion of the language program will count towards your graduation credits, then most likely it would be covered. If it is a standalone course, then most likely it will not be covered. You would want to get a VA approval ruling before enrolling if you plan to use your GI Bill to pay for the course.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.