This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My Husband’s GI Bill for a Certification?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I want to get a fitness nutritionist certification. Can my husband transfer part of his 9/11 GI Bill to me for that?

A: He could, but about all it would pay would be up to a $2,000 reimbursement for the certification test. The Post 9/11 GI Bill generally does not pay for non-degree type courses, such as trade, technical, license and certifications. It is more focused on degree-producing programs.

For your nutritionist certification, you might want to look at using the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. That program pays military spouses up to $2,000 per year, with a $4,000 cap, and you have up to three years to complete your course. And it covers certifications, licenses and associate’s degree programs, in case you would want to continue with your program and get a two-year degree in fitness nutrition.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.