This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My Husband’s CLRP to Repay My Student Loans?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband is a Reservist. He signed a 6-year contract, I believe. He has the $40,000 student loan repayment. He never went to college. Can he transfer that to me to repay my education loans? If so, would we just complete the DD 2475 with my information? He has been in for 1 year and we got married a month ago. My repayment begins next month.

A: No he can’t use his Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) to pay back your loans. The main reason is the loans are not his in the eyes of the military. While he may have inherited them as part of marriage, they were not his at the time he enlisted. As additional information, only the following types of loans, made under the Higher Education Act of 1964, qualify for repayment:

  • Stafford Loan Program (formerly Guaranteed Student Loans (GSL);
  • Federally Insured Student Loans (FISL);
  • Perkins Loan (formerly National Defense Student Loan and National Direct Student Loans (NDSL);
  • Auxiliary Loans to Assist Students (ALAS);
  • Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS);
  • Consolidated Loan Program (CLP);
  • SMART Loans.
2 responses on “Can I Use My Husband’s CLRP to Repay My Student Loans?

I have a similar issue. I’ve been married for 8 years and my wife is completing her masters with 48k in loans. I have no loans but she took them out while we were married, and they are all qualifying loans. Can i use my SLRP for those loans?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits.For more information on how to choose a school, visit. For more information on, visit our FAQ page or follow the About Us link found below. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.