This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My Chapter 30 Benefits At Two Different Schools At the Same Time?

Q: I already have my B.S. however the graduate program I am trying to get into requires some pre-requisite classes that weren’t required for my B.S. I am currently working on them now and would like to take some of them at a different university than my home university. How do I go about doing this? I am using my Chapter30 benefits at the moment.

A: What you are trying to do falls under the parent/secondary school agreement. Under that agreement, your school that will issue your degree is the parent school. The other school where you want to take classes is the secondary school. You have to coordinate with your parent school the classes you want to take at your secondary school and why you want to go to school there. It is normally because those courses fill up quickly at your parent school and you can’t get into them or when they are offered doesn’t fit into your lifestyle schedule.

Once in agreement, your parent school sends a list of the classes you will take to your secondary school. After you complete those classes, your secondary school issues a transcript to your parent school. Then your parent school transfers the completed courses to your degree plan, thus completing the process.

Know that you are limited to taking just the courses specified by your parent school at your secondary school. Also know the VA will not pay for classes that are not on your degree plan, but generally they will pay for pre-requisites needed to take classes on your degree plan.

If you do this smart, your Chapter 30 GI Bill will work well. If not, you will end up with a mess and may end up having to pay for classes out of your pocket. Coordination with your parent school is the key.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”