This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Transfer Remaining Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Children?

Q: I used “Top-Up” to supplement my TA for a few graduate level courses. Can I transfer the remaining benefits to my children?

A: If you are still on active duty, and meet the transfer eligibility requirements, you can. One of the stipulations of the Post 9/11 GI Bill is you have to be on active duty “on or after 1 August 2009″. Before you can access the transfer option, you have to have served at least six years on active duty, of which at least three years have been after September 10, 2001, and extend for another four years. If you are within four years of retirement, then the additional time will be prorated to a lesser amount.

To transfer benefits to your children, go to the Transfer of Entitlement Benefits (TEB) website and enter in your child’s (or each child’s) record how many months you would like to transfer. After submitting, you will see the Status field change to “Pending”. Once the request is approved in 8 to 10 weeks, the Status field will change to “Approved” and the Status Date will have a date in it.

To use the benefit, the each child has to go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, he/she will get a Certificate of Eligibility which he/she will need when enrolling in school.

If you can’t access a child’s record to enter a number of months, or the record is “grayed out”, then either you’re not eligible to make a transfer or the child’s record is not correct in DEERS.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”