This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Transfer from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 So My Children Can Use It for College?

Q: Can I transfer my Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 Bill? I retired from active duty Army in Oct 2009 with 20 yrs. of service. Can I transfer from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 so my children can use it for college and if so, how and where do I do that?

A: You can transfer from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill by submitting VA Form 22-1990 from the eBenefits website. In return, you get a Certificate of Eligibility that you would need when enrolling in a school as a GI Bill student.

The bad part is you can’t transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your children. If you were eligible, I would have suggested a different route that would have automatically switched you to the New GI BIll and transferred benefits to your children.

The way Congress wrote the Post 9/11 GI Bill rules, you have to be serving at the time you make a transfer request, have served for at least six years and have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time of the transfer request – unless you are within four years of being retirement eligible. Then the additional four-year requirement is prorated down depending on how many years you have left until you hit 20 years of service.

It is too bad you did not know this before you retired as you could have made a transfer request before you got out as the New GI Bill started on August 1, 2009, but the eligibility goes back to September 11, 2001.

So if you never used any of your GI Bill, you should have 36 months you can use. Just keep in mind your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits do have a limitation. They expire 15 years from your last date of discharge.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”