This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Petition the VA to Extend My Montgomery GI Bill 10-Year Delimiting Date?

Q: I used my Montgomery GI Bill when I completed my years of honorable service. I have since exceeded my 10 years without exhausting the available funds. Is it possible to petition to be able to use the GI Bill? — Jim B.

A: You can apply for an extended Montgomery GI Bill delimiting date Jim, but only under one of three situations:

  • You went back on active duty for at least 90 days after your first discharge
  • You were debilitated by injuries or health problems preventing you from going to school
  • You were detained by a foreign government or power

If you went back on active duty, provide a copy of your active duty orders or updated DD214.

If you are claiming a health problem, send the VA the information below that prevented you from going to school:

  • The type of health problem
  • The exact beginning and ending dates of the health problem
  • The reason(s) you were unable to go to school
  • Any employment you had during your health problem
  • Your employers’ names and addresses, the beginning and ending dates and the weekly hours of each job
  • Doctor documentation, such as diagnosis, treatment, the duration, the exact beginning and ending dates
  • Hospital or laboratory test reports

If you were detained, send any paperwork you have documenting your detainment and release.

Once you have your documentation ready, send it to the VA Regional Office servicing your state or territory.

The VA rarely extends the deadline for using your military education benefits under the MGIB delimiting date, but they will do so for the three above conditions.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”