This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Move Out of State, Change Schools and Still Work On the Same Degree?

Q: Can I move out of state and change schools if I need to? I would still be working towards my same BSN degree.

A: Yes when using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you may:
• move to a different state and attend a new school.
• live in the same place, but change to a different school.

Under these two scenarios, you would have to send in VA Form 22-5495 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training – from the e-Benefits website. It is important to let the VA know when you change schools as your Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance is based in part on the zip code of your school.

Not notifying the VA that you changed schools could get you into an overpayment situation if your new housing allowance rate ends up being lower than it was at your previous school. So to stay out of debt, notify the VA of your intention to change schools before you actually make the switch.

Of course you would also want to send in the same form if you change your major. Just as a side-note, keep in mind that your new BSN degree plan could vary from your old degree plan, so you may end up having to take some classes not listed on your old degree plan.

If the VA did not know you changed schools, they could end up deny paying for those additional classes, because those classes were not on the degree plan they were working off of. These are all good reasons why you should keep the VA always informed of your latest or upcoming changes.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”