This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Get the 12-Month Extension If I Have Already Used My Converted Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits?

Q: If I already used my Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement, can you still get the 12-month extension for a vocational school etc., if still unemployed?

A: No you can’t get an extension via the Post 9/11 GI Bill, however, you may qualify for the newest GI Bill – the VRAP (Veterans Retraining Assistance Program). To qualify for the program, you must:
• Be at least 35 but no more than 60 years old
• Be unemployed on the date of application
• Received an other than dishonorable discharge
• Be not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
• Not be in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability
• Not be enrolled in a federal or state job training program.

If you qualify for the program, go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990. You will hear back very quickly as to whether or not you qualify. If you find out you do, you can receive up to 12 months of benefits paid at the Montgomery GI Bill monthly rate of $1,473.

Your training program must be completed within one year and result in a license, certification or associate’s degree in a high demand occupation as defined by the Department of Labor (DOL). The DOL will even help you find a job after completing your training program.

If you do not qualify for VRAP, then you most likely have reached the end of your GI Bill benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”