This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Get My Post 9/11 G.I. Bill Tuition Deposited into My Account?

Q: I heard that my GI Bill tuition goes straight to the university I’m attending. Is there anyway I can change that to go directly to my account?

A: If you have the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, then yes, the VA sends your tuition and fees (up to the in-state, public school undergraduate maximum) directly to your school. The answer to your question – no you can’t change to have those funds deposited into your own account.

You will likely get paid, however, a monthly housing allowance and a book stipend. Your housing allowance is paid at the E-5-with-dependents rate for the zip code of your school. Just make sure your are more than a half-time student and not taking only online classes and not on active duty. Otherwise these three things will exclude you from getting the housing allowance.

The book stipend you will get in a lump sum with your the last housing allowance for the term. Your book stipend is capped at $1,000, so it will only cover 24 credits per academic year.

If you are referring to the Montgomery G.I. Bill, then no, the VA does not pay your school directly and you are responsible to pay those costs from your monthly benefit payment.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”