This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Get My Dishonorable Discharge Changed to Honorable?

Q: I received a dishonorable discharge in 1976 from the USN. I asked to be let out of the Navy because they promised me 2 years of shore duty, if I signed on to a fast-attack submarine under new construction. Having a pregnant 17-year old wife, I was very happy to be able to be there for my wife and child for the first two years.

Long story short, 2 weeks later I was out to sea! I went to JAG office and they said you can sign for a U.D. and we’ll let you out. I was barely 18 years old and VERY naive and unwise of the world. Is there any way I can get this changed to a Honorable or General Under Honorable? Thanks.

A: Not any more. The Board of Corrections has a 15-year statute of limitations as far as making any corrections. Plus, it would not help you from an education standpoint anyway, even if you did get your discharge changed.

You did not say how long you were in the Navy before you were discharged, but it didn’t sound like it was long enough to get the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), which is generally a minimum of two years. But even that doesn’t matter as the MGIB back then had a 14-year delimiting date, which means it expired 14 years from your date of discharge.

It sounds like you were promised one thing and got another, which I agree was not right, however, at this point 34 years later, there isn’t much that can be done to correct it.

As a word of advice to young military members, always get it in writing. Otherwise, you don’t have a leg to stand on and it ends up being your word against someone elses.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”