This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Apply for My Post 9/11 GI Bill after My LRP Obligation Has Expired?


Q: I have 8 months left on a 5-year enlistment. I chose the Loan Repayment Plan when I enlisted. Do I get any GI Bill benefits for the 2 years after my 3-year LRP commitment? If so, did I have to apply right after the 3 years? Can I still apply?

A: Yes you will have GI Bill benefits, but you don’t have to apply to get them – only apply when you are ready to use them. Let me explain.
The Post 9/11 GI Bill is free to you just by you serving your country on a Title 10 order for a minimum of 90 days after September 10, 2001. There isn’t a sign-up process or required contribution as there is with the Montgomery GI Bill.

Yes, you are correct in noting that the first three years of your service will go to “pay back” LRP. However, your two years after that will get you 36 months of education benefits at the 80% tier level. One more year of service and you would be at the 100% level, so that might be worth considering.

Once you decide you are ready to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990. In return, you will get your Certificate of Eligibility which you will need when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student. On your certificate, it will say which GI Bill you are authorized, how many months of benefits you have left to use, your tier level, and when your benefits will expire.

Once you are enrolled in school, the VA will pay 80% of your tuition at the resident undergraduate level. The remaining 20% would be your responsibility. You would also get 80% of both the housing allowance and book stipend.

Because you initially signed up for LRP, I’m assuming you already have a four-year degree. If you served one additional year, then you would also qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program which could help offset graduate school tuition rates, which as you know are considerably higher than undergraduate.


Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at http://www.va.gov.

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

Enter to Win $1,000 for College From Lending Tree. Deadline to Enter January 31, 2022.

X

FINAL Countdown! Urban Outfitters $20,000 Scholarship Giveaway, Deadline October 16, 2021

X