This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.
Army Study Guide Flashcards
What are the proper procedures for clearing the M249?
- Moves the safety to the fire “F” position by pushing it to the left until the red ring is visible.
- With his right hand,palm up, pulls the cocking handle to the rear, locking the bolt in place.
- While holding the resistance on the cocking handle, moves the safety to the SAFE position by pushing it to the right until the red ring is not visible. (The weapon cannot be placed on safe unless the bolt is locked to the rear.)
- Returns and locks the cocking handle in the forward position.
- Raises the cover andfeed mechanism assembly, and conducts the five-point safety check for brass,links, or ammunition:
- (1)Checks the feed pawl assembly under the feed cover.
- (2)Checks the feed tray assembly.
- (3)Lifts the feed tray assembly and inspects the chamber.
- (4)Checks the space between the bolt assembly and the chamber.
- (5)Inserts two fingers of his left hand in the magazine well to extract any ammunition or brass.
- Closes the cover and feed mechanism assembly and moves the safety to the “F” position. With his right hand, palm up, returns the cocking handle to the rear position. Presses the trigger and at the same time eases the bolt forward by manually riding the cocking handle forward.
(Click card to view answer)
(Click card to view question)
Questions in this topic: M249 - Machine Gun