This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Change My GI Bill Direct Deposit Information?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I recently had issues with my bank, and have switched to another one. However, I still need to change my direct deposit for my Post 9/11 GI Bill funds. I know you can do it through WAVE with your MGIB, however I don’t have that option in this program. Who do I have to get a hold of to get the account changed in the New GI Bill?

A: All you have to do to change your Post 9/11 GI Bill direct deposit information is submit a new VA Form 22-1990 and include your new deposit information in Block 7. Put a remark in Part IX saying you are switching banks and Block 7 has the new EFT information.

I hope you did not close out your old bank account yet. If you get a deposit from the VA to your old bank account, and it is no longer open, your deposit will get returned to the VA. Then it can be a real hassle trying to get that payment resent out to your new bank account.

A better plan is to leave your old account open, make the Direct Deposit change of information on VA Form 22-1990, and then close your old bank account after you start receiving deposits in your new account. When you fill out your VA Form 22-1990, be really sure you put in the correct routing and account numbers. If either is wrong, the EFT process won’t be able to find your account to deposit your money.

Experience is a great teacher, however, sometimes she can be cruel, but she teaches you lessons you don’t forget.

Comments  (2)

It’s stupid that there isn’t a separate form for changing financial information. There’s a separate form for 1606 and 30, so why not for 33?

posted by Eric
1:32 pm on April 29, 2011

Another option is to call the VA’s Direct Deposit Hotline at 1-800-827-1000.

posted by Ron Kness
10:19 am on May 3, 2011
Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)