743rd Military Intelligence Battalion History
In November 1954, pending the relocation of the National Security Agency from Arlington Hall Station, Virginia to its new headquarters at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Army Security Agency Troop Command was activated at Fort Meade. In early 1955, ASA Troop Command became the headquarters for Army personnel assigned to duty with NSA.
The USAA Troop Command was redesignated on 26 December 1957 as USASA Support Element, NSAM and consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, A and B Companies, and a WAC Company. In 1963 it was again redesignated, this time as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, A and B Companies, and Student Company.
On 1 January 1977, the US Army Security Agency was redesignated the US Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM), and USASA Support Group subsequently reassigned to INSCOM. In November 1977, the Group was redesignated as Continental United States (CONUS) Military Intelligence Group, which over the years consisted of Headquarters and Headquarters Company and lettered Companies A through E.
In March 1980, the Group was reorganized into two Battalions to provide better command and control. Each Battalion had three subordinate Companies and/or Detachments. Additional subordinate units of the Group included Field Stations San Antonio and Key West, as well as several Detachments located throughout the world.
On 1 January 1988, CONUS MI Group was redesignated the 704th Military Intelligence Brigade. Concurrently, the 1st and 2nd Battalions were redesignated the 741st and 742nd Military Intelligence Battalions, respectively. Field Station San Antonio was reorganized and activated as 748th Military Intelligence Battalion, with Field Station Key West becoming its subordinate and redesignated 749th Military Intelligence Company.
On 3 October 1989, the 743rd Military Intelligence Battalion activated at Fort Meade as the 704th Military Intelligence Brigade's fourth subordinate Battalion. The 743D Military Intelligence Battalion was organized to provide improved command, control, and support to the 704th Military Intelligence Brigade Detachments located at other services' and national level sites around the world.
In July of 1998, the 743rd Military Intelligence Battalion moved from Fort Meade, MD to it's present location at Fort Carson, Colorado with duty in central Colorado.