This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Civilian Certificates and Licenses Post-Military

Many Army jobs have civilian equivalents that are worth big bucks on the outside. This is especially true in the case of highly technical support fields in the medical, mechanical, and engineering sectors. But how do you ensure that your Army training and experience are recognized by the civilian job market, particularly in fields that require expensive certificates and licenses? Keep the following suggestions in mind when you're planning for your future technical career.

The AARTS Transcript
The Army American Council on Education Registry and Transcript System (AARTS) is a record of all your Army enlisted training and experience in civilian educational phrasing. When you want to show someone what your Army training means, this is the first place to go to. The online system can be browsed online and can also be used to order unofficial and official transcripts that are mailed without charge to any education institution you choose. Go to to use this system.

Transition Records
When you transition out of the Army, you are provided with records of your Army career, including your DD214 and DD2586, which officially verify your Army awards, experience, and training and help prove what you did in the service.

ECE Exams for Nursing and Teacher Certification
If you have a medical or teaching-related MOS, you may be able to start earning training credits toward a nursing or teacher certification while you serve, without enrolling in classes. The Excelsior College Exam (ECE) program allows soldiers to earn college credit through testing, rather than traditional classes. Funded for military personnel by DANTES, the ECE exams can help you get a jumpstart on your certification at little or no cost to you.

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.