This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

With Only Two Years of Service, Am I Eligible for the GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I’m in now, but I’m at risk of being separated for my back. Am I still eligible if I’ve only been in two years?

A: Yes, provided your discharge is fully honorable and not something else. With two years of service, you would qualify for either the Montgomery GI Bill or Post 9/11.

It sounds like you enlisted for more than two years. If so, with the Montgomery GI Bill, you would get one month of benefit for each month served, so 24 months of benefits paid at $1,111 per month, once you start school. You have to pay all of your own tuition, fees and education-related expenses.

If you choose the Post 9/11 GI Bill, all you need for the minimum benefit is 90 days of active duty. With 24 months of service, you would be at the 36-months-at-the-80% level. The VA would pay 80% of your tuition directly to your school; you would get 80% of both the housing allowance and book stipend.

If you end up getting out with a service-connected disability, that could possibly increase your GI Bill benefits to the full 36 months, at $1,368 per month, for the Montgomery GI Bill, or up to the 100% level of the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.