This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

With a General Discharge, What Are My Education Benefits?

Q: I was discharged with a General/Honorable discharge. What education benefits am I entitled too?

A: None. For all the GI Bills (currently in existence), a fully Honorable discharge is required to use the educational benefits. You may have a couple options though.

If you think your General discharge was unfair and you can prove it, you could appeal to the Discharge Review Board (DRB) and request (with justification) a discharge upgrade, provided it has been 15 years or less from your date of discharge. If it has been more than 15 years, then you would have to go through the Board of Corrections of Military Records (BCMR).

To start the DRB process, fill out DD Form 293. For the BCMR, use DD Form 149. With either board, it can take 6 months to a year for a decision and there are no guarantees, but at least it is an avenue of appeal to make right a wrong, if you were indeed treated unfairly. Just a word of warning – the Board goes in under the assumption your discharge is correct and it is up to you to prove them wrong.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”