This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

With a 5-Year Break in Service, Can I Still Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Wife?

Q: I was active duty enlisted from 1990 to 1998. I had the Montgomery GI Bill and used some of my benefits during my 5 year break in service. I came back on active duty as a Warrant Officer in 2008 and am interested in transferring my education benefits to my spouse. We are scheduled to PCS back to the states in a couple of months and I will deploy a couple months after that. My wife is considering moving to a different location than my next duty station so that she can work on her Master’s Degree. My question is whether or not she can use my remaining benefits (if she is attending an accredited school) and whether or not she is eligible for the BAH stipend for her physical location due to the fact that she will not be living with me.

A: Just so we are clear, you can’t transfer your remaining Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) benefits to your wife because that particular GI Bill did not have a transfer of benefits option. However, you most likely qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill being you have at least six years of service (of which at least three years has to be after September 10, 2001), are currently serving, and have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time of your transfer request.

If you meet the three above requirements, you can initiate a transfer request by going to the milConnect website and following the instructions in the Transfer of Benefits section. Once approved, your wife has to go to the eBenefits website and request her Certificate of Eligibility by submitting VA Form 22-1990e. She would need that certificate when she enrolls in school as a GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

As far as the Monthly Housing Allowance, no she would not get that as you are drawing BAH for her and she can’t get both. So if she uses her benefits while you are still serving, her tuition would be paid and she would get the book stipend once per semester (up to the $1,000 per year cap).

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”