This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

With 70% Disability, is My Son Eligible for Education Assistance?

Q: I receive 70% service-connected disability. My son is going to college this year. Is he eligible for assistance?

A: No he isn’t. According to the rules, you would have to be totally (100%) and permanently disabled for him to qualify for Chapter 35. If you have the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), it won’t help your son as it doesn’t have a dependent transfer option.

Depending on when you got out, you could qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. With a service-connected disability you would qualify at the 100% level, if you had at least 30 days of continuous service after September 10, 2001. While this won’t help your son out right now, because you would have had to make the transfer before you got out, it (or the MGIB) could help you train for a career compatible with your disabilities.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”