This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Will the GI Bill Pay for a Second Bachelor’s Degree?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am about to complete a bachelor’s in criminal justice, which has been paid for entirely by tuition assistance. I would like to pursue a second bachelor’s in computer science while on active duty, since I will more than likely be staying in until retirement. I have been told that neither the MGIB nor Post 9/11 will pay for a second degree in a field unrelated to the first. Is this true? What are my options?

A: If your first degree in criminal justice was paid for entirely by Tuition Assistance (TA), then the VA will most likely let you use your GI Bill benefits to get a bachelor’s degree in computer science. TA is funded by your service branch and not by the VA, so in essence the VA is not paying for a second degree; only your first degree of using the GI Bill.

If your first bachelor’s degree was paid for by the VA, then yes, they generally frown upon paying for a second degree at the same degree level in an unrelated career field.

The intent of the GI Bill is to train servicemembers and veterans in a career, so they would rather pay for a bachelor’s and master’s degree in the same field rather than two bachelor’s degrees in unrelated fields. Make sense?

So the reality is go ahead and use either the MBIG or Post 9/11 GI Bill to pursue your degree in criminal science.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.