This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Will My Post 9/11 GI Bill Pay for My Wife to Go to Dental School?

Q: I have been in the military almost 10 years this September, I am in the National Guard, however spent over 4 years on active duty orders (2003 and beyond), and received the rank of O-1 a year and a half ago. I used a majority of my GI Bill benefits to pay for night school with Embry Riddle, and eventually became eligible for the REAP program. My question is that my wife, who has an undergraduate degree from U of L, wants to go to U of L Dental School. I would like to transfer my benefits over to her, however I am unsure of the details. Would any of my benefits cover her Dental School (DMD) education even though she already has an Undergraduate degree? Also, I calculated on post 9/11 gi bill that i would receive 100% benefits, so do i need to exhaust all of whats leftover from my GI Bill before I switch to the post 9/11 program? Finally, by switching to the 9/11 program, would she only recieve benefits for one year if i used a majority of my regular gi bill?

A: Yes, your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits would pay for your wife’s Dental school training, because she did not use the GI Bill to get her bachelor’s degree. However, the issue is that because you used up most of your initial 36 months of Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) /REAP benefits, you might not have many months left to transfer to her. If you switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill with MGIB/REAP months left, you will get that same number of months under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and not the additional 12 months.

If you finish using up your MGIB/REAP first, and then switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you would get an additional 12 months of education benefits that you could give to her.

If you decide to make the switch and make a transfer request, first make sure you have at least four years left on your enlistment. Once that is in place, then go to the TEB website and make the transfer request. Once approved, then your wife and get her Certificate of Eligibility by submitting VA Form 22-1990e from the eBenefits website. Once she gets her certificate, she needs to take that with her when she enrolls in school as a student using GI Bill transferred benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”