This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Will My Post 9/11 GI Bill Pay for a Real Estate License Course?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I have my bachelor’s degree from the University of Florida and completely used up my regular GI Bill. I qualify for the new Post 9/11 GI Bill but have not yet used it. I now live and work in California and want to take classes to obtain my California Broker’s License. Because I work, I’ve been looking at online real estate schools (such as Allied Real Estate School). They don’t have a VA Department and don’t seem to have any information on if their course is covered under the GI Bill. How can I find out if these courses are covered by the new GI Bill? How can I find other programs that will allow me to get my CA Broker License that are covered under the new GI Bill? Thanks,

A: Being you used up your first GI Bill, the Rule of 48 will only allow you to get an additional 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is geared toward paying for degree- producing courses, however, some non-degree courses, such as the Real Estate Licensing course you want to take, could be covered if you take the course at a school also teaching degree courses. If you take it online at a school only teaching a real estate licensing course, it most likely would not be covered. While your training for the course would most likely not be covered, you can get up to a one-time $2,000 reimbursement to cover the cost of taking your license test.

2 responses on “Will My Post 9/11 GI Bill Pay for a Real Estate License Course?

There are additional expenses involved with becoming a realtor such as Mulitple Listing Service and board member dues, they could cost upwards of $1,500. Would they be covered by the original or post 911 GI bill?

No they would not. The Post 9/11 GI Bil may be able to pay for your training (if done through a VA-approved school) and it could reimburse you to a certain amount for certification/licensing costs.Because it can vary from state to state, you can look up how much it would pay in your state here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *