This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Will My Post 9/11 GI Bill Cover the Tuition Difference Between Resident and Non-Resident?

Q: I separated out of the Air Force a couple of months ago. Applied for my Post 9/11 GI Bill and was approved for 100% coverage. Just had a few questions. I wasn’t aware, but I applied for a college out of my state of residence. It’s approx. $8,000 for tuition for state residents and approx. $18,000 for out of state residence. Will my GI Bill cover this big difference? Also, I have the option to live in the dorms or live off campus. Both are possibilities. If I lived in the dorm I would like to live in a Single, which obviously would cost more. If I choose to do this would the GI Bill still cover the extra it would cost to live in a single dorm? And since I would be in the dorm would I still get paid the BAH rate for this school? The school I’m looking at going to is The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Thanks!

A: The Post 9/11 GI Bill pays up to the resident tuition rate if you attend a public school, which is what the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee is. So it would pay up to the $8,000 in tuition. The other $10,000 per semester is out-of-pocket, unless they are a Yellow Ribbon School  let me check.

The U of W at Milwaukee is a Yellow Ribbon School. Right now in their agreement, they can take up to 21 students per year with a maximum payout amount per student/per year of $7,296. So if you happen to snag one of the 21 spots available, that would lower your out-of-pocket costs down to about $2,700 per year which isn’t too bad.

As far as the housing allowance, it is based on the zip code of your school and the number of credits you take. In looking up Milwaukee, I see their rate is $1,692 per month. That money is paid to you and you can use it for whatever you want. So you could opt for a single dorm room, but you would not get paid any more for that than you would living in a non-single room, so the choice would be yours as far if the additional cost is worth not having a roommate.

You would also get the book stipend which calculates out at $41.67 per credit per semester. As a full-time student, this amounts to about $500 per semester, however note there is a $1,000 cap per year on it.

As a final note, the U of W – Milwaukee also has a MN Reciprocity Rate and a Midwest Student Exchange Rate that applies to certain Midwest states. While both rates are more than the resident rate, they are considerably less than the non-resident rate. It could be worth checking into if you think you would qualify.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”