This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Will My Daughter Get a Housing Allowance If I’m Still Serving?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am on active duty and completed the paperwork to transfer my Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits to my daughter. I know that the tuition will carry over after I retire, but will she receive housing and cost-of-living stipend as well? Thanks.

A: Yes Phil, under the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, she will receive the housing allowance and book stipend. I’m not sure what you are referencing to when you talk about the cost-of-living stipend, unless that is the housing allowance. Whether you retire or not doesn’t have any effect on when your daughter gets her housing allowance and book stipend as she will get that whether you are still serving or not. It is different with a spouse; spouses don’t get their housing allowances while the service member is still serving.

Your daughter’s housing allowance will be based on the E-5 with dependents rate and the zip code of her school. Her book stipend will be paid at the rate of $41.67 per credit hour up to $1,000 per year.

Her tuition will be paid directly to her school up to the maximum in-state public school amount in the state where she will go to school. Keep in mind, if she chooses an online-only program, or attends at less than half-time, she will not get the housing allowance.

If she attends a private school, or pays out-state tuition, all of her tuition may not be covered by her Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits. If that is going to be the case, ask her school if they are a Yellow Ribbon school. Under the Yellow Ribbon Agreement, the school can pay up to half of the difference not paid by the VA and the VA will pick up an equal amount, leaving very little, or nothing, left to pay out-of-pocket.

2 responses on “Will My Daughter Get a Housing Allowance If I’m Still Serving?

I transfered my post 9/11 benefits to my wife. She just got her eligibility certificate, which says that I’m still on active duty (which is true.) My question is that I retire before her school starts, so will the housing allowance automatically start (since I’m not on active duty anymore), or do I need to contact the VA and tell them that I am not active anymore?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.