This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

When Can I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Wife?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I hit my 6-year mark in the U.S. Army on June 2010 (next month), but I only have 3 years of Active Duty because I joined as a National Guard soldier. Can I transfer my Post 9/11 GI Bill to my wife?

A: Generally, if you were a traditional Guardsman before going on active duty, your Guard time is prorated, so it doesn’t all count. For instance, you might get 48 days for your weekend drills for each year you were in the Guard, plus whatever additional days you had while on orders. So you might get two months of time for each year in the Guard. If you have a DD214, it will be listed; if not, see your unit clerk and ask. He or she can look it up for you.

If you do have six documented years, you will have to extend for an additional four years before you will be able to transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your wife. If it doesn’t show you have six years yet, then you will have to wait until you do, extend and then make the transfer request.

The important thing is to make the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer before you get out. Once you are out, it is too late (at least at this time – hopefully it will change in the future).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.