This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What Is the Process for My Husband to Transfer His GI Bill to Me?

Q: My husband is currently serving in the Air Force Reserves and has been for close to ten years now. He completed college quite some time ago so, he would like to transfer his GI Bill to me so I can use it at a local college here in Idaho. What is the process and will he be required to make any further commitments with the military for doing so?

A: Reserve and National Guard members have the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), which is only good as long as they remain in the Reserves and it does not have a transfer option. To get the transfer option, your husband would have to switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

To qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, your husband would have to have served at least 91 days of qualifying active duty service, after September 10, 2001 (usually meaning deployed for a contingency operation, such as Iraq or Afghanistan) and served at least six years in the Armed Forces (Reserve, Guard or active) and sign up for an additional four years. So until he meets these qualifications, he doesn’t have the transfer option available to make a transfer to you.

Once he meets the Post 9/11 GI Bill qualifying time and service requirement, he can make the transfer by going to go to the TEB Website and entering in your record how many months he wants to give to you. You will have to be listed in DEERS for him to make a transfer, which you probably already are.

Once the request is approved, then you will have to fill out VA Form 22-1990e. You can do that at the VONAPP Website. You will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when you register for school. End of the process. Now wasn’t that easy?

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”