This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What is the Post 9/11 GI Bill Monthly Housing Allowance If I Decide to Study in Australia?

Q: Hello, I am currently still serving as Active Duty in the United States Army. I am currently on a tour of duty in Afghanistan and I’ve been looking into how best to use my G.I. Bill. I’m not quite sure which version I have, but I enlisted in 2008. I am married with one child and one on the way. I am interested in obtaining a degree or certification as a Performance Automotive Technician. At first, my choice was attending UTI in Orlando, FL in order to take advantage of the extra electives they have there so I can get out with a broad spectrum of all engine types. However, both the wife and I would love to study abroad and live in Australia. My question is, would my G.I. Bill cover either decision I make? I do not see UTI on the VA list, but their brochure, website and representative assures me they accept it and offer multiple military benefits. On the other hand, if I decide to move to Australia and study there, will I be entitled to less of my G.I. Bill? I’m sure I’ll have to pay for both my family and I to travel there, but what of the BAH rate? Will I still be receiving the same as a single E5 soldier I believe it is? Are there any other benefits to studying abroad as opposed to studying within the states? Thanks in advance.

A: If you end up moving to and studying in Australia, you would be eligible for the foreign student Post 9/11 GI Bill monthly housing rate which right now is a fixed $1,368 per month. As far as tuition, you would be limited to an annual amount up to $17,500 per year, if you attended full-time.

However, if you studied here in the States, the amount of your tuition paid to attend a private school would be the same. But, if you decide to attend a public school, it would be paid in full at the resident undergraduate rate. Regardless of where you study, you would also be eligible for the book stipend calculated at $41.67 per credit (up to the annual $1,000 limit). If you attend a school that does not use a credit-based system, such as many of the vocational/technical schools, then you would get up to $83 per month in book stipend money.

If you think UTI is where you want to go, I would first contact the VA to make sure they are in fact a GI Bill school. I too looked at the Weam’s school search and they are not listed as being a VA-approved school in FL. However, with that said, I saw one of the videos on their website where a student said he used his Post 9/11 GI Bill to go to school there, and I did find some information referencing the Yellow Ribbon Program and being VA approved under Military Friendly Schools/Financial Benefits and also under Academics, but I could not find any information directly of them accepting the GI Bill unless I missed it. Ask questions just to be sure they do accept the GI Bill before you enroll.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”