This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What Is the Eligibility Criteria to Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Child?

Q: I will be retiring in about a year and would like to transfer by Post 9/11 GI Bill to my child. What are the eligibility criteria for this to occur? And can my husband also transfer some of his benefits to her as well once retired?

A: No your husband will not be able to transfer any of his Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to her once he is retired. The way Congress wrote the Post 9/11 GI Bill law, you had to be serving “on or after August 1, 2009″ to make a transfer request. So if he has not retired yet, now would be the time to make a transfer request.

As far as the eligibility requirement to access the transfer option, a servicemember has to have served for at least six years in the Armed Forces on a Title 10 order, of which at least three years must have been after September 10, 2001. Also required is agreeing to serve an additional four years. If the servicemember is within four years of being retirement eligible, then a lesser future service requirement is required.

Once you meet the eligibility requirement, then go to the TEB website and enter in the number of months you want to transfer in your daughter’s record. Once the transfer is approved, and it can take up to 8 to 10 weeks, then your daughter can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, she will get her Certificate of Eligibility which she will need when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student using Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits.

If you both make a transfer request and both are approved before your daughter requests her certificate, then her submitting one request will work. However, if she gets her certificate between when the two transfer requests are approved, then she will have to request her certificate again to get the updated number of months she has left.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”