This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What GI Bill Benefits Does My Husband Have Left?

Q: I was wondering how long my husband’s veterans benefits are available to me for continuing my education? He was in the 82nd Airborne, served for over 10 years and became the Jump Master. He is a disabled vet, and is looking to return back to college. It has been roughly 20 years and we are not sure if he is still eligible to use his education benefits? Thank you!

A: Unfortunately, his education GI Bill benefits have expired. Back then, your husband would have had the Montgomery GI Bill and that carries a delimiting date of 10 years from the date of discharge.

If either of you would like to go to school, you can start by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see what you would qualify for as far as education financial aid. There are also many grants, scholarships and loans available, but they take some searching on the Internet to find. My point is if both of you want to go to school, there is financial assistance available to help you. Where there is a will, there is a way. Good luck!

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”