This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

What Do I Have to Do to Use My Dad’s Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My dad is in the Army and on active duty. If I want to go to college to get some kind of degree, could I use his GI Bill? If I could, what should I do? Or what are the things/requirements that I have to do?

A: You could use your dad’s Post 9/11 GI Bill, provided he:

  • Qualifies for the transfer of benefits option.
  • Makes a transfer request to you via the Transfer of Benefits website.

He will qualify for the transfer option if he has served for at least six years in the Armed Forces of America (National Guard, active duty or Reserves) and agrees to serve an additional four years.

If (or once) he meets the past and future service requirement, then he can go to the Transfer of Benefits website and enter in your record, how many months he wishes to give to you.

Once finished, he will have to monitor the website and look for a Status change from “Pending Review” to “Approved”. It can take 8 to 10 weeks for the status to change, so he will have to be patient.

Once that happens, then you will have to submit VA Form 22-1990e from the eBenefits website. In return, you will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

Just so you know, the VA will pay actual tuition/fee cost if you go to a public school or up to $17,500 if you attend a private school. You will get a monthly housing allowance and a book stipend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.