This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

What Do I Have to Do to Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Wife?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am recently married. My wife is starting law school I’m trying to find out what I have to do to transfer my GI Bill.

A: Well first, you still have to be still active in one of the branches of the Armed Forces, either active duty, reserve or National Guard, as you can’t transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits once you are out of the military. Next, you have to have established Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility by serving at least 90 days on a Title 10 order (for Selected Reservists) or six years for active duty personnel. And you must have served a minimum of six years in the Armed Forces of the United States and have at least four years remaining on your current enlistment. Finally, your new wife has to show as one of your dependents in DEERS. If you meet these four requirements, then you can access the transfer option on the TEB website.

Once your transfer request status changes from “Pending Review” to “Approved”, your wife can submit VA Form 22-1990e at the eBenefits website and get her Certificate of Eligibility. She has to take that with her when she enrolls in school as a student using GI Bill transferred benefits.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, her tuition and fees will only be covered at the undergraduate tuition rate at her school. When looking for a school, she should inquire if her school has a Yellow Ribbon agreement with the VA and if law school is a covered program. If so, this will significantly reduce the amount left for her to pay.

2 responses on “What Do I Have to Do to Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Wife?

Not sure why the answer to transfer is stuck on having at least six years of active duty. The six years of service requirement can be met through a combination of active and reserve duty service.
DoD and the services are the sole authority on approving the transfer of benefits. DTM 09-003 governs all services and in paragraph 17 explains transferability requirements in detail. Army policy located on the Army G-1 website similarly explains transferability requirements. Because only DoD and the services can approve transfer of benefits, their policies are the authoritative source and should be used to determine answers to questions.

Only Title 10 active duty service counts toward Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility. For a Reservists time to count toward the Post 9/11 GI Bill, they must be on a Title 10 order in support of a contingency operation for at least 90 days.

As far as transferability of benefits, you are right. They must have served at least six years in the Armed Forces of the United States, which can include a combination of active, National Guard and Reserves.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.