This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

What Are the Requirements to Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Daughter?

Q: I am inquiring about the eligibility of my daughter for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. What my requirements are and the transferability to a dependent? Thank you!

A: There are three service requirements you have to meet for you to make a Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer of benefits request to your daughter. You must:
• have served for at least six years
• be currently serving at the time of your request
• either have at least four years left on your enlistment when you make your request or agree to serve an additional four years if you have less time left on your enlistment.

If you meet all three requirements, then you could make a transfer request from the milConnect website. If you have never used any of your GI Bill benefits, you have up to 36 months that you could transfer to her. You can go from as little as one month up to all 36 or the number of remaining unused months you have left (if you have used some of your entitlement before).

Once your request is approved, by looking for a status change to “Transfer Approved” at the website where you made your transfer request, your daughter can go to the eBenefits website and request her Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by submitting VA Form 22-1990e.

She will need to hand in a copy of her COE at the time she registers for school so they know she is a GI Bill student. The reason? Because her school will have to send in a Certificate of Enrollment to the VA. That form (along with her COE) starts the payment process to both her school and to her.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”