This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

What Are the Requirements to Transfer Part of My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Wife?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: What are the requirements to be able to give part of my GI Bill to my wife?

A: It depends on which GI Bill you are talking about. If it is anything other than the Post 9/11 GI Bill, it will not have any transfer of benefits options.

If you are talking about the Post 9/11 GI Bill and you are on active duty, then you have to have served for at least six years (of which at least three years has to be after September 10, 2001) and agree to serve an additional four years. If you are within four years of being retirement eligible (20 years), then you can agree to a lesser amount.

If you are in the Reserves or National Guard, then the six/four-year requirement is the same, except that you have to have served at least 90-days on a Title 10 tour in support of a contingency operation, of which the most popular two are the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, to even qualify for the New GI Bill. A one-year tour would place you at the 60% Post 9/11 GI Bill tier and know that your recipient would inherit the same percentage of benefits.

Of course, if you are no longer serving, then your opportunity to transfer benefits has passed as the way Congress wrote the Post 9/11 GI Bill you had to be serving in the Armed Forces of America “on or after August 1, 2009″ to make a transfer request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.