This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Specifically, How Do I Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Wife?

Q: Hello, I would like to know specifically how to transfer my benefits to my wife. Also, what specifically she can use them for. I will not be attending any college level classes but she has already graduated. Is it possible to transfer my GI Bill benefits to her and pay off her student loans? Thanks for your time.

A: No it is not possible to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to directly pay off her student loans. However, you can make a transfer of benefits to her if you meet the three service requirements:

  • Have served for at least six years of which three must be after September 10, 2001.
  • Are currently serving at the time of the transfer request.
  • Have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time you make a transfer request.

Once you have met these three requirements, then go to the milConnect website and follow the directions listed under the Transfer of Benefits section. Keep checking back at that website and look for an approval of your request.

Once approved, then your wife has to fill out VA Form 22-1990e from the eBenefits website. In return, she would get her Certificate of Eligibility that she would need when enrolling in school.

One thing to note is if she uses her transferred benefits while you are still serving, then she would not get the housing allowance, but her tuition would be paid up to the resident undergraduate rate and she would get the book stipend. If she waits to go to school after you are out, then she would also get the monthly housing allowance.

As far as what she can use them for, she can attend any public or private VA-approved school and take either non-degree or degree producing courses.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”