This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Should I Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Now or Wait Until I Get Into the Reserves?

Q: Dear GI Bill Expert, I will separate this summer after 11 years Active Duty, but plan on transferring into the Reserves without a break in service. I have already elected to take the Post 9/11 GI Bill and would like to transfer the benefit to my dependents. I understand the transfer would obligate me for an additional 4 years of military service. I am confused as to whether transferring the benefit now would commit me to another 4 years and not allow me to separate this summer? Or can I wait until I separate and join the Reserves then elect to transfer the benefit to my dependents? I’ve heard that I must make my decision to give my dependents the benefit while on Active Duty and that the window will to transfer will close once I’m no longer AD. Ideally, I would like to transfer the benefit now and finish my obligation in the reserves. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

A: Yes you should wait to transfer benefits your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits until you get into the Reserves because if you sent in a request now, it would not be approved; you don’t have the additional four years of enlistment in place when you make the transfer request. So wait until you enlist in the Reserves.

When you do enlist in the Reserves, make sure it is for more than four years, otherwise you won’t have a full four years left on your enlistment contract at the time you make you transfer request and your request would be disapproved.

What you heard about the transfer window closing once you leave active duty is true if you are not going into another branch of the Armed Forces, which you are. The way Congress wrote the rules you had to be a member of the Armed Forces of the United States (which includes the Reserves and National Guard) on or after August 1, 2009 (and meet the other eligibility requirements) to make a transfer request.

If you were not going into the Reserves you would not be eligible to make a transfer request, but because you are, you maintain your transfer ability as long as your four-year enlistment time or more is in place.

You won’t be able to do it the way you want though – use a combined active and Reserve time. Enlist in the Reserve first and then make your transfer request.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”