This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Is There a Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer-of-Benefits Exception-to-Policy Waiver I Can Get?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I want to transfer my Post 9/11 GI Bill to my wife. I will have five years in service in February 2012. I have already reenlisted for four more years, is there an Exception to Policy or Waiver available since I have not reached the six year minimum requirement? If not, am I going to have to wait until I reach six years and then reenlist for one year? Does the transfer have to be approved before the start of the class?

A: There isn’t an exception to the six-year rule that I know of, so you will have to wait until February 2013 before you will be able to make a transfer request of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your wife. As you know, you have to have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time you submit your transfer request. Once you have that in place, then you can make a request at the TEB website.

The transfer has to be approved before the start of the class if you want the VA to pay for her tuition and for her to get the book stipend. For the VA to pay, her Certificate of Eligibility and the school’s Certificate of Enrollment have to match up. Her certificate shows how many months of approved eligibility she has. The school’s certificate shows she is enrolled and for how many credits. Without her certificate, she will have to pay tuition.

Assuming she has not received her certificate yet at the start of the semester, she can go back (up to one year) to her approval date and request reimbursement. However, it is “cleaner” and causes less confusion to get her certificate first before enrolling in class.

6 responses on “Is There a Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer-of-Benefits Exception-to-Policy Waiver I Can Get?

My husband retired after 20 yrs in May 2009, 3 months prior to the Transfer post 9/11 eligibility requirement. Is there a wAiver out there we can submit in order to transfer to our son?

I just came across this post, and I have a similar situation. I have 5 years done and 5 more years left on this enlistment, so I have 1 more year before I am eligible to transfer by benefits to my wife. She is ready to start school in February this year. If she got a student loan to cover for the first year, would she be able to request reimbursement to pay back the student loan and then use the rest of the GI Bill going forward?

No she would not. Because she would not yet have Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits at the time she would take out the loan, she could not request reimbursement to pay it back. You can’t spend something you already don’t have at that point in time and that is what this would amount to.

I also have a similar situation. I have 7 yrs in active duty. I had 5 then reenlisted for 5 more which will put me at ten years in 2015. However, I want to transfer benefits to my wife now so she can start school August of 2013. I just got rejected. Is there any way I can sign an obligation to serve the time needed past my EAOS so that ill have the required 4 years needed to apply? My EAOS is oct 2015. Any help appreciated! This is her last chance to go to school and we really need this benefit.

No there isn’t. The only thing you can do is wait for your window to open and reenlist for enough time to have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time you make your transfer of benefits request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.