This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Is My Post 9/11 GI Bill Verification Approvement All I Need to Start School?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My question is very simple. I would like to know if the verification sheet (Post 9/11 GI Bill verification approvement) I received twice after submitting all of the information including my DD14 by mail is all I need for school. I never got anything else stating I was good for school. I have been attending classes now for three weeks. I hope I don’t need to take a student loan due to them not paying in a timely manner? I gave up on communicating by phone. It is only computer operated voice assistance.

A: I’m not exactly sure what a “verification approvement sheet” is, but what you need, and should have received, is a Certificate of Eligibility. When you register for your next semester as a GI Bill student, your school will need a copy of your certificate.

As far as payment, it could take as long as 8 to 10 weeks to get your first payment after registering as a user of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Once the payment starts, then you can expect a monthly housing allowance and a book stipend around the beginning of each term.

The VA will pay your school directly for tuition and eligible fees (up to the in-state maximum for right now). In August, that will change and the VA will start paying actual public school charges for their undergraduate program and eliminate the in-state maximums.

If you are taking some on-campus classes and have a rate of pursuit of greater-than-half-time, the housing allowance you get will be for the month before as the VA is always a month behind in paying it. That too will change in August as the VA will start paying the housing allowance based on the number of credits you are taking. If you are taking 51% of the number of credits your school considers to be full-time, then you will get 51% of the full housing allowance. Right now, you would get the full housing allowance for taking 51% of the full-time credits.

So depending on how much money you have set aside for schooling, you may have to look at other sources of financial support until your GI Bill payments start.

4 responses on “Is My Post 9/11 GI Bill Verification Approvement All I Need to Start School?


I’m a student worker for the veterans affairs office at my college and I noticed you posted the Hazlewood question, and wanted to clarify as of right now, you can use your Hazlewood benefits for distance courses, as long as you meet the following criteria on your DD214

1)You had an honorable discharge
2)Your place of entry or home of record was Texas
3)You served at least 181 days on active duty (Basic and School time does not count towards this requirement

In addition: if you qualify for 100 percent under your Post 911 benefits, you will not be able to use Hazlewood until you’ve exhausted the 911 benefits, if however you qualify for less than 100 percent under the 911 bill, you are allowed to use Hazelwood along with the Ch.33

and for my school for the CH.33, all we require at the time being is your certificate of elgibility, hope that helps, also some of the schools differ on their guidelines so please contact that school to verify everything, also once you receive your certification of elgibility for the CH.33 make sure it states the percentage you qualify for and months remaining,

Good morning, do i need to verify enrollment every month for the post 9/11 gi bill. My husband transferred his benefits to me and I just want to make sure there is nothing else I need to do. I have been in school since August of this year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.