This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Is It True My Husband Couldn’t Transfer His Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Me?

Q: My husband was going to transfer benefits to me. He was discharged in 2004 but they said that he couldn’t transfer because he did not have at least 90 days active duty after 9/11/2001. I think that this is a cheap way of doing this. I feel that this is a benefit that they deserve and should have the right to do this. Plus my father can’t transfer his to me because he served in Vietnam war and of course his benefits have dissolved. This is something that I think is wrong with the military benefits. This should be corrected the help families and loved ones to actually further their education.

A: There are several things wrong with your information or we are not getting the complete story. One, according to my math, and if he was on active duty the whole time, there is more than 90 days from September 9, 2001 to 2004 when he was discharged.

Now what he told you was probably true if he was in the Selected Reserve (SELRES), meaning in one of the reserves of the military or in the National Guard. SELRES members do not qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill without having served for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001 on a Title 10 order in support for a contingency operation.

Two, when he got out in 2004, the Post 9/11 GI Bill was not in effect yet; it would not go into effect for another 5 years, so it would have been impossible for him to transfer something to you that didn’t exist. And if he had the Montgomery GI Bill, it did not (and still does not) have a transfer to spouse option, so he could not have transferred that GI Bill to you even if he would have wanted to.

Lastly, if he just recently wanted to transfer his Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to you, he would have been denied because according to the Post 9/11 GI Bill rules, he has to be currently serving at the time he makes his transfer request (along with having served for at least six years and agreeing to serve another four years).

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”