This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Is It Possible to Transfer Part of My GI Bill to My Wife?

Q: Hello I joined the Army in July 1999 and got out in 2006 with an Honorable discharge. I want to know if it possible to transfer part of my GI Bill to my wife?

A: Generally speaking, no it isn’t an option at the present time. If you have the Montgomery GI Bill, then most likely you do not have a transfer option. Some servicemembers were able to “buy” transfer rights from their reenlistment packages starting in 2006, but not many did. To purchase this option, you would have had to reenlist, which obviously you did not.

If you have the Post 9/11 GI Bill (which you qualify for), the way Congress wrote the rules for this GI Bill is you had to be on active duty “on or after August 1, 2009″. But you wouldn’t have qualified for the transfer option because those rules read you have to be on active duty for at least six years and extend for an additional four years before you can access the transfer option.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”